Updated: Jan 9
The options for sewing supplies are endless! Don't get overwhelmed. Start simple and with the basics. From there you can add supplies as you gain experience and confidence.
Here is a list of the basic needed supplies to get you started.
- Sewing machine (more info can be found here)
- Extra sewing machine needles (more info can be found here)
- Quilting pins (they are longer and easier for small hands to use)
- Pin cushion or pin magnet
- Seam gauge
- Seam ripper
- Fabric scissors
- Small scissors for cutting threads
- Soft measuring tape
- Chalk or fabric marking pen
- Large safety pin
- Hand needle
- Appropriate thread for the project
- Appropriate fabric for the project
Here is a list of other supplies that are fun to have on hand but are not essential unless your project requires it.
- Elastic (3/4" and 3/8" are my favorites)
- Assorted buttons
This should get your started. Always check the required supply list on your project or pattern before starting your project.
As always, have fun learning, sewing, and creating!